Ryu Kuze's Emporium
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

'Nothing shall ever be the same in Ryu Kuze's Emporium.'

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade

ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Empty
PostSubject: ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record   ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:13 am

Welcome to ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! This is the series of threads where I ramble on about anime-only cards while shoving caffeine down my throat.

Then, I'll give it a personal rating - using several factors that I welcome everybody to discuss - out of 10, and ask the question: Do you think the game would benefit from the anime-only card being real? Feel free to discuss!

So, let's crack open an RC and get on with ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Cards of the Day! I reserve the right to not randomly post a card on each day for whatever reason.

Today's card is...

Akashic Record
Spell Card
Draw 2 cards. If either of the cards drawn have been played during this Duel, they are removed from play.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Akashic_Record

Art: The art is pretty standard. But, it makes sense.

Appearance: Wow do I absolutely despise how this card was used in the GX anime. Yubel-Johan topdecks it against Amon in Turn 150 and uses it in order to draw two cards. Now, I would not have a problem with this. But, Johan not only does not bother to show us the cards he's drawn to confirm they have not been previously used in the duel; rather, the exact same thing would have been accomplished with Pot of Greed. GX has used Pot of Greed so many times, often twice in the same duel by both players one turn after the other; why not here? Why did they have to create a one-shot card whose secondary effect did not even matter? Frankly, I would have expected Jim to use this card. It would have made more sense even with Kenzan. I can't wrap my mind around this one. I hate how it was used.

Mechanic: Even though this shares the main strategy of Blasting Vein, I really feel this card is much different. Akashic Record is entirely based on a gamble. In the same instance, its use slowly declines or inclines throughout the game depending on what cards you draw throughout the entire duel. I'm not even sure if the effect corresponds with the notion of being an ancient fossil / dinosaur remains. It seems to be a mindless draw card that advocates either decks that run one copy of most / all cards, or the notion of just shoving draw cards into play once you draw them. I am slightly unhappy with the mechanic of this card.

Effect Analysis: Ugh, I really don't think I have to go too far into this one. As I already mentioned, it advocates a notion of stupidity and recklessness. I do not see why anybody would wait to activate this card after drawing it unless they somehow knew the top cards of their deck would screw them over. Necroface and Different Dimension decks would welcome this, on the other hand. I don't appreciate a simple draw card that has only a minor requirement that's easily bypassed by running original cards. It does advocate creativity in deck building, I give it that. But, its overall use, concept, and execution is just mindless. The lucky people who consistently draw this in their opening hand receive a stupid advantage that has nothing to do with skill. If we're going to use this, we might as well bring Pot of Greed back.

I often try to seek cards that encourage creativity. However, I believe Akashic Record goes about this the entire wrong way. I'm taking off quite a few points here. It will save a few points for the luck and creativity factor. But, I'm angry with it.

Real Game Add-on: You better believe I would NOT want this card in the real game. Well, that's somewhat inaccurate. I WOULD want it in the game; however, I don't think it would do anything good.

I already acknowledged that maybe there would be some hope in that this card would encourage people to run only one copy of cards in their deck, or perhaps try to use lesser-seen cards in order to avoid the drawback. At the same time, what valid reason do I have to believe that people would do this? I knew meta people in DME that used this card, and I certainly know meta people in other games that do the same. It comes down to the mindless nature once more that I'm starting to hate more as I sit here and type.

Can Akashic Record help the real game? Somewhat, sure. Is it likely to happen when we consider the way metagamers think? Probably not. Groupthink and the lower-order thinking that accompanies the card hurt its potential greatly.

Well, that's all I have to say. Now I will give Akashic Record my personal score.

Art: 4/4
Appearance: 0/1
Mechanic: 3/5
Effect Analysis: 12/20
Real Game Add-on: 4/10

Final rating: 5.5/10

What do you think of Akashic Record? Would it be good for the real life game? Let your opinions be heard!

I need some lemonade after this one. I never realized how much I would grow to despise this card.
Back to top Go down
Cyber Phoenix

Cyber Phoenix

PostSubject: Re: ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record   ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 am

Hmm, I think I'd use this in the real game. i mean, I tend to aim for using the more unique decks rather than the typical "Durr Blackwings, Durr Lightsworn." I think this would actually fit well in my Rock deck because a.) Who else uses rocks? Seriously... and b.) The card art looks like it would fit well into a Rock deck. :p

You seem to just have some built up rage from this card being used in the anime rather than in real life. Instead of making this card, GX could've just used the typical Pot of Greed to save them time, but they didn't for some unknown reason.
Back to top Go down
Fenian

Fenian

PostSubject: Re: ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record   ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2009 2:05 pm

I gotta say, this card can be better than Pot of Greed in some circumstances. Whats that? Archangel Christia jumped to the top of your deck? RFG it then bring it out with Miracle Arrival. Or, RFGing Necroface and getting him out of play. When drawn at the start of a duel, it is virtually identical to Pot of Greed with the user showing their draws. There was no reason for the anime to make this card-- it wasn't used in a combo, in a deck that it fit, the only difference between this and Pot of Greed when it was used was the picture.
Back to top Go down
Riley Freeman

Riley Freeman

PostSubject: Re: ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record   ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2009 1:35 am

I love this card!! It would suck to play it, and then draw cards that have been played, BUT if you are using a deck that is different than anything that your opponent is using then it really isnt that big of a deal.

afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record   ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ShadowBlade's Anime/Manga Card of the Day! 8/21/2009 - Akashic Record
Page 1 of 1